Pumpkin jam

Pumpkin jam

My absolute favourite jam. Ever. Always. It reminds me of lazy Sundays with bread and cheese on the side and National Geographic and the golden autumnal light through the window with a cat or two on my lap.

Pumpkin Jam is my favourite jam of all. My brother likes to ask me silly things like “if you had to pick one forever and ever, what would you choose?”. I tend not to have an answer to these questions, but I do in the case of jam – pumpkin jam forever. With or without nuts. With or without cheese on the side. Pumpkin jam rules my jam world!

Ingredients:
1kg of cubed pumpkin
500g of white sugar – I don’t like very sweet jams and this reflects it. You can increase your sugar up to 750g.
3 cinammon sticks
2 oranges
Walnuts (optional)

Preparation:
1. Peel and chop your pumpkin into small cubes to have 1 kg. Place in a tray.
2. Put the cinnamon sticks in the tray with the pumpkin.
3. Cover the pumpkin with 500g of white sugar.
4. Peel and slice the oranges and place them on top of the pumpkin and sugar.
5. Cover the tray so nothing falls in it (with a kitchen board for example) and leave to rest for 12 hours (overnight).
6. When you uncover the tray 12 hours later, you’ll have your pumpkin bits softened in a liquid, with the orange slices on top. You’re good to go!
7. When you’re ready to make the jam, start off by preparing the jars. Wash glass jars and lids (mine are metallic) in hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Place everything in the oven, on top of a kitchen towel, at 110C. Remove from the oven only when you’re ready to bottle the jam.
8. From the tray with the pumpkin, leave two small orange slices and remove the rest. Leave one cinnamon stick and remove the rest. Transfer everything (cubed pumpkin and liquid) to a pan.
9. Heat in medium heat stirring occasionally until surface boiling (took 20 minutes). Lower the heat and stir occasionally until you have half the liquid you began with. Remove the cinnamon stick.
10. Transfer to the prepared jars (I used three jars). Cover the jar mouth with a wax disc and close.

Note: I used mashed up walnut in one of the jars. I put walnuts in a kitchen bag and mashed them with a kitchen roll. As I filled the jar with the jam, I mixed in the walnuts and gave them a little stir for even distribution.

I hope you love it as much as me :)

The recipe is also here.

2 comments:

  1. These look so perfect! Lovely to see that you made two versions: the Portuguese (Spanish?) and the English version :) Would love to taste it :)
    Hug from the other side of the channel x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...